Listed below are some tips for writing a compelling volunteer award nomination:
- Make this a joint effort.
- Inform your nominee of your intent to nominate him or her and confirm that if selected, s/he will accept the award.
- Gather the facts.
- Review the nomination questions with the nominee to confirm details about his/her service.
- Get input from the people who either benefit from or support the volunteer’s involvement, i.e., the volunteer’s supervisor, staff members in the department where s/he volunteers, client(s) the volunteer serves.
- Demonstrate impact.
- Quantify the nominees’ service (i.e., number of years volunteering, hours volunteered per week, Lighthouse Guild departments where s/he volunteers).
- Qualify the nominee’s service. Describe the impact that the nominee’s service has had on the person or department served.
- Describe how the nominee’s service reflects a commitment to the Lighthouse Guild mission which is to foster independence and enable people with low vision and blindness to live safe, independent and productive lives.
- Ask a member of the Volunteer Resources Department team to assist you with gathering or confirming information to support your nomination. We are here to help! firstname.lastname@example.org
Remember, the Committee can only evaluate your nomination based on the information you provide about your nominee.
Thank you for taking time to nominate a deserving volunteer and helping us to recognize their contributions to Lighthouse Guild.