Programs for Social Workers
Understanding and Addressing Vision Loss
About This Program
The loss of vision is not just a physical problem; it also has enormous psychosocial effects. Social workers play an important role on clients’ vision rehabilitation teams by helping patients recognize and understand the psychosocial impact of vision loss and learning how to cope. This two-hour program prepares social workers to better meet the needs of their clients with vision loss. It provides an understanding of vision loss and its impact, and offers strategies social workers can use to help patients address their loss and access vision rehabilitation services.
Who May Benefit
- Social workers caring for people with special visual needs
What Is Covered
This program offers three modules plus case scenarios, and includes narration with a transcript option as well as descriptive photographs, diagrams, drawings, and video clips to enhance your learning experience. After completing this program, you will be able to:
- Recognize the impact of vision loss on your patients’ physical and mental health, daily activities, social participation, and overall quality of life.
- Learn strategies to conduct psychosocial assessments, help your clients address their vision loss, and improve their ability to accomplish daily activities.
- Facilitate your patients’ acceptance of vision loss through effective discussion of the loss and its impact on their lives.
- Learn about vision rehabilitation services and how to connect your patients and their families with them.
- Understand how to run a vision loss support group.
Continuing Education Credits
Understanding and Addressing Vision Loss is approved by the National Association of Social Workers (Approval # 886774618-6037) for 2 continuing education contact hours, and by The Commission for Case Manager Certification to provide continuing education credit to CCM® board certified case managers for 2 CE contact hours (Activity code: I00031401 Approval Number: 180001078). To claim these CEs, log into your CCMC Dashboard at www.ccmcertification.org.