Posted by Philanthropy News Digest
About the Organization: The Lighthouse Guild was created in 2014 through the merger of Lighthouse International, founded in 1905 as the Lighthouse, and the Guild, established in 1914 as the New York Guild for the Jewish Blind. To enable the highest possible level of function and independence for the blind and visually impaired, the New York-based organization, which has locations and provides services in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Westchester County, Albany, and Niagara Falls, works to integrate vision and healthcare services and expand access through education and community outreach.
Current Programs: The organization’s programs and services include vision rehabilitation, which provides a range of services, from adaptive technology training to braille transcription services, designed to help people regain function and maximize their usable vision; medical services, which includes primary and specialty care; various behavioral health programs and managed long-term health plans; and training for healthcare professionals and caregivers. The organization’s education programs include the Filomen M. D’Agostino Greenberg Music School; programs for preschoolers, special needs students, and teens and youths; and a college scholarship program for legally blind students that provides awards of up to $10,000. The organization also provides tele-support services for teens with visual impairment and their parents.