Youth Transition Program
It can be pretty scary to think about what’s out there in the world after high school. But it can also be fun finding out. Lighthouse Guild’s Youth Transition Program can help pave the way. Our services for students ages 14 to 21 ease the shift from high school to college or to work.
On Saturdays from 9 am to 3 pm from mid-October to early June, we offer guidance, counseling, vocational, and recreational services for individuals and groups, such as:
- Orientation and mobility to help you get around independently
- Rehabilitation training: have fun with other young people as you learn to cook, sew, and engage in other activities that help you become an independent adult
- Computer training and use of assistive technologies: learn to communicate and connect with your world
- Social workers, who provide counseling and support
- Career exploration and preparation: learn about careers that may be of interest to you, and what you need to do to train for them
- Field trips: fun outings with others to promote community and cultural awareness
- Training in the use of communication and recording devices that can be used in college classrooms, putting you in the best position to further your education
- Physical education, creative arts, creative writing, drama, and yoga are all available to you
The program is open first to students in New York City, and then to students from Long Island, Westchester, or northern New Jersey counties whose parents are able to escort their children.