Director Special Programs,
The Oberdorfer Award in Low Vision Research was created in 2012 in collaboration with the ARVO Foundation for Eye Research with support from Lighthouse Guild. The award recognizes an individual for his or her role in furthering low vision research and rehabilitation.
It was inspired by the seminal contributions of Michael D. Oberdorfer, PhD, in support of low vision research.
Award recipients present a lecture at the ARVO Annual Meeting and receive a cash award.
There is no application process for the Oberdorfer Award in Low Vision; instead, recipients are selected by the ARVO Low Vision Cross-Sectional Group for their roles in furthering low-vision research.
Oberdorfer Award in Low Vision Research: 2017 Recipient
Gary S. Rubin, PhD, FARVO, UCL Institute of Ophthalmology, London, UK
- 2016: Denis Pelli, PhD, New York University, New York, NY
- 2015: Pawan Sinha, PhD, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Boston, MA
- 2014: David Rein, PhD. NORC at the University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- 2013: Gregg Vanderheiden, PhD, University of Wisconsin-Madision, Madison, WI
- 2012: Brian Wandell, PhD, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
For more information, please visit the ARVO Foundation website.